Recent social media research has revealed the most popular national parks on Instagram, with Yosemite National Park coming out tops.
The research was done by Faraway Garden Furniture in January 2020 by pulling the number of times each park had been hashtagged to date.
The admission fees for each park was also analysed, verifying if there was a correlation between the most tagged and the most expensive.
When it comes to ‘Wonders of the World’, four of the national parks featured in the list. Victoria Falls, and the Grand Canyon are part of the Seven Natural Wonders of the World, while the great migration of the Serengeti was named in USA Today’s New Seven Wonders. Finally, Komodo Island was named in the ‘New7Wonders of Nature’.
- Yosemite is the most ‘Instagrammed’ national park with 4,067,845 tags
- Los Glaciares is the least tagged of the national parks (30,531)
- Galapagos is the priciest national park to visit in the top 10 at $100, but getting to Komodo Island will set you back a staggering $1000
- Africa has four parks on the list, Victoria Falls, Kruger Park, Kilimanjaro, and the Serengeti
- Five out of the top 10 can be found in the USA
- The UK ranked second with five of the world’s most Instagrammable national parks in the top 10.
- The total number of hashtags across the 20 parks is 24,004,858
- Prices don’t seem to affect the popularity, as only three of the top 10 are free.
|National Park||Admission Price||No. of Hashtags|
|Grand Canyon (US)||$20/£15.21||3,859,864|
|Lake District (UK)||Free||2,662,538|
|Rocky Mountain (US)||$20/£15.21||2,343,245|
|Peak District (UK)||Free||1,342,240|
|New Forest (UK)||Free||662,274|
|Guilin and Lijiang River (CHINA)||Free||398,616|
|Victoria Falls (ZA)||$30/£22.83||234,495|
|Los Glaciares (ARG)||$30/£22.83||30,531|